Dragons Running Club (Leeds) started in the 1990s and has been home to hundreds of runners ever since. But did you know we haven’t always been known as Dragons?
We started out as Manor Running Club which was formed and registered to UK Athletics in 1997. We were based at The Manor Leisure Club in Yeadon.
Two years later, Dragons Leisure Group acquired The Manor and the running club changed its name to Dragons Running Club (Leeds). At this time, the majority of running groups ran Saturday mornings with only the odd mid week run. LA Fitness later acquired the Dragons Leisure Group, but we decided to retain the Dragons’ name.
We moved to our current home at Yeadon Cricket Club around 2012. The move created opportunities to recruit runners who weren’t members of LA Fitness and we were able to grow our membership. By adding evening runs to our training, we could offer a greater variety of running opportunities for everyone.
As you’re aware by now, the Club has seen many changes over the years, but we’re still here, still running and Dragons continues to offer something for everyone.
10 reasons to run with Dragons
- Non-Elitist: We don’t judge on age, ability or experience. Everybody is welcome.
- Events: We participate in many annual races and club camaraderie is amazing.
- Inspiration: It’s in abundance in our club and it’s very contagious. You’ll catch it!
- Routes: From clean and dry tarmac to muddy and wet trails, we know them all.
- Qualified Leaders: Ensuring your run is safe and enjoyable.
- Run Groups: Based on ability and distance but informal and sociable.
- No Pressure: Run comfortably or push yourself, it’s entirely up to you.
- Online: We’ve a buzzing Facebook group for members.
- Cooldown: Refreshments are provided for your post-run natter.
- Out of Lycra: Enjoy our social events throughout the year.